I have always been fascinated with baking, and i tried my hands a few times at baking via pressure cooker and microwave and always ended up with a bad cake! Well these days, having an oven, i seemed to have found my love for baking, and its getting addictive!!!
This cake is like a pound cake, and i just love it. It takes me back to the days when i was in school; we used to have a snack break and my mum used to pack pound cake and i used to just wait for the break. Ummm Yummy. Anyway getting back to the recipe.
Tip : You need the butter, milk & eggs at room temperature! So go on and get them out of the fridge
Things you will need :
Butter : 1 stick/125 gm
Self rising flour : 1 1/2 cups
Eggs : 2
Sugar : 1 cup
Milk : 1/2 cup
Lemon zest : 1 lemon
Lemon juice : 1/2 lemon
Vanilla essence : 1 tsp
– Once your eggs, milk and butter are at room temperature. Line your baking tin (preferably loaf tin) and set your oven to 350 F/180 C.
– Take sugar & butter in a bowl and beat it using electric beater. Here the end result is a crumbly mixture.
– Add one egg and a little flour, and beat it until its incorporated. Repeat the same with one more egg. You will get smooth silky mixture by now.
– Add in the flour, lemon juice & zest, Vanilla essence and beat it with the beater for at least 2 mins. If using hand whisk, then whisk it for 5 mins.
– Transfer this to the tin and bake in preheated oven for 45 mins – 1 hour. The time will depend on your oven. It took me 1 hour.
– Remove and check if its cooked in the traditional way (you know – dip a tooth pick and if it comes out clean its done)
* You can store this in air tight container in the refrigerator for 3 days.
It is soft, moist & delicious. A favorite with an evening cup of tea. Happy baking !!