Soya chunks is a real good option for vegetarians looking for a source of protein in their diet. This is one food that i pick from my protein bag !! Yeah. It has a long shelf life & has less fat content. Well next time you think of snacking on fried chicken nuggets, think again 🙂
What you need :
Soya chunks : 1 cup
Onions : 1/2 cup chopped
Tomatoes : 1 chopped
Ginger & Garlic crushed : 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder : 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder : 1 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Garam masala : 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder : 1/2 tsp
Water : 1.5 cups
Salt : to taste
– Wash & Soak the soya chunks in water for 25 mins. After 25 mins these will be doubled in size.
– Squeeze out the water from the chunks & marinate it. For marination, in a bowl add crushed ginger & garlic, pepper powder, red chilly powder, salt and soya chunks. Mix it all with your hand and keep aside for 10 mins.
– While that is resting, in a pan, heat up 2 tsp of oil and add onions, saute till they are browned. Add tomatoes and cook them till they get mushy.
– Now, add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, & a little salt (Be mindful here as the soya chunks have salt too). Mix well & add the resting soya chunks.
– Add 1.5 cups of water & cover and cook for 15 mins. Keep checking after every 5 mins & give it a mix.
This can be had as a snack, appetizer, and i sometimes just have it as a meal. Its approx 200 calories as 1 cup of soya chunks are 160 calories & it has 24g protein; which is super filling.