Praline is a combination of nuts & caramelized sugar. You can use cashews/almonds, preferably almonds.
You need to be very quick while making this, as sugar can burn quiet easily & it can make your entire dish sour rather than sweet. So look for golden brown color.
What you need :
Sugar : 1/2 cup
Almonds : 2/4th cup
Water : 2 tbsp
– Line a tray with baking sheet. I used aluminium foil.
– Take water & sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Let the sugar melt. Takes about 5 mins. Keep stirring constantly.
– Once melted, bring the heat to high, and bring to boil. Let it boil without stirring it until it turns golden, about 4 mins. Take it off the heat.
– Add almonds and stir until bubbles subside. Immediately transfer to the prepared tray.
– Let it cool and then break.
While handling the pan, its best to be really careful as it can cause burns.
It would be best if you put the saucepan in water as soon as you transfer the contents, else it would get really tough to clean it.
This can be served in numerous ways. I like to crumble it and use it in desserts as a crunchy topping. You can also sprinkle it on top of yogurt as a snack. Add it in your cake or on top of ice cream; use your imagination!
I have used whole almonds, as i usually crumble it all and use it in my desert. If you wish to eat it as it is, then i suggest using chopped almonds.
Store it in an air tight container for 3 – 4 weeks. Do not refrigerate.