This is a cool refreshing drink to beat the summer heat.
It is so so hot these past few days that I’ve been going to the gym as i cant take the heat & decided to make this summer drink made out of mangoes.
We need raw mangoes that are green in color. I din’t find them in the local stores here and hence i bought these from Indian store; which turns out are very expensive. But it feels really good as its very cooling.
What you need:
Raw mangoes: 3
Jaggery: 5 oz
Black Salt: 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
– Wash & pressure cook the mangoes with enough water for 4 whistles. If you don’t have a pressure cooker then boil the mangoes in a saucepan until its cooked & soft, approx 20 mins.
– In a mortar & pestle, crush the seeds from cardamom along with peppercorns.
– Meanwhile add jaggery in a saucepan with 3 tbsp of water & let it melt. Keep stirring & breaking. Takes approx 7 mins.
– Strain the jaggery syrup to get rid of any impurities.
– Let the pressure from the cooker release on its own after which let it cool. Peal the mangoes & extract just the pulp. Throw away the seeds & the skin.
– Add the pulp in a processor & run it until smooth. Strain the pulp as sometimes it contains some fibers.
– Add the crushed cardamom, peppercorns & jaggery syrup to the mango pulp. Mix well.
– Add the cumin powder & salt. I dint have black salt so i used regular salt. But, if you have black salt then use that. (This is the preserve) Store this in a clean, sterilized jar with no moisture in it and store it in the refrigerator.
– To make the drink, add 1 tbsp of the preserve to 1 cup of water. Add ice cold water or ice cubes or keep it in the refrigerator for a while to cool.
Enjoy!! It feels refreshing having this after being out in the scorching sun for long.