I grew up having this dish at least once every week. It is so healthy, yet you can easily turn it into an unhealthy dish. As a kid, i never never liked having it & u know why – it has spinach & dal; which kid likes having it?? However i love having it now as its more like a stew or spinach soup to me.
What you need: This recipe serves 4 & it takes about 30 mins to make.
Spinach(Palak): 1 bunch
Fenugreek leaves(methi): 1/2 bunch
Amaranth leaves:1/2 bunch (i din’t have this at hand, so i skipped it)
Vegetables: 1 cup (Use any vegetables : – brinjal, carrot, beans, potato, peas, corn. I used carrot, beans, peas, corn, and 2 baby potatoes cut in half)
Onion: 1/2 chopped finely (If you have small onion then use 1 whole onion)
Tomato: 2 chopped finely
Chana dal : 2/4 cup washed.
Green chilly: 2 chopped
Red chilly powder: 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Amchoor powder: 1 tsp
Water: 2 cups
Salt: to taste
– Chop & wash your leaves really well. You should wash spinach twice because of the dirt. It leads to kidney stones if its not washed well. So wash twice. All 3 leaves. If you dont have Amaranth then skip it. If you don’t have methi leaves then use 2 tsp of crushed kasoori methi.
– In a cooker, on medium flame, add 1 tsp oil. Wait for oil to heat up & add onions & green chilies. Saute for 2 mins till the onions turn translucent.
– Then add the vegetables and saute for 2 mins.
– Next add in the red chilly powder, coriander powder & turmeric powder. Add the chana dal. Mix well. Saute for 1 min.
– Add the tomatoes now and mix. Give it a min.
– Add all the leaves now and 2 cups water. (If you plan on serving it with roti then add just 1 1/2 cup water, for rice or as a soup add 2 cups).
– Try to mix it to make all the leaves reduce in size a bit. About 2 mins. Then close the lid of the cooker. On medium flame, wait for 1 whistle and then simmer it for 15 mins.
– Let the pressure release on its own, after which, open the lid & mash it a bit. Now add in the salt & amchoor powder. Mix well & serve hot.
Healthy & delicious. I had a big bowl with 1 slice of bread. The rice was not for me 🙂