Kheer is a sweet dish that is usually made during auspicious occasions. I still remember making this as my first dish after my wedding. You cannot go wrong with this dish.
I like to add a little sago along with vermicelli while making this.
What you need:
3 cups whole milk
2/3 cup roasted vermicelli
1/2 cup condensed milk
3 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup soaked sago
1/2 tsp ghee/clarified butter.
– In a saucepan, add milk, condensed milk, cardamom & sugar.
– Bring to boil. Keep sago ready. (Soak sago for 1 hour, then drain the water & keep it covered for 5 hours)
– Once milk starts boiling, add sago & vermicelli.
– Cook for 10 mins.
– Meanwhile, in a temper pan, add 1/2 tsp ghee.
– Once hot, add cashews & raisins. Cashews to brown & raisins will puff up.
– After 10 mins, take it off the heat & add cashews and raisins. Serve.
* I used already roasted vermicelli. For the vermicelli that is not roasted, roast it in a pan until browned before adding it in the milk.