Methi matar paneer is an indian dish made in a creamy sauce with peas, fenugreek leaves & cottage cheese.
Paneer is another protein food that i make once every week.
I have been wanting to make this dish from the time i saw it on bengalifoodtraveler’s blog. But I’ve made a lot of changes. I love methi :D, i can have methi roti everyday & not get bored. But anyway, even though i have not used cream or sugar, there is no compromise in the taste.
What you need: Serves 4 and takes approx 40 mins to make.
Paneer: 1 cup cubed
Methi: 1/2 cup chopped
Tomato: 1 Pureed. Be sure to use a red & round tomato. Not roma. Round ones have a bit sweetness. That way you don’t have to add sugar.
Dry red chilly: 3
Garlic: 3 crushed
Ginger: 1/2 inch crushed
Red chilli powder: 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Pav bhaji masala: 1 tsp
Green chilly: 1
Frozen peas: 1/2 cup
Yogurt: 3 tsp
Whole milk: 1/4 cup
Butter: 1 tbsp
Oil: 2 tsp
Salt: to taste
– In a pan, add oil. Once hot enough, add half of the onion; chopped. Saute until browned. Once browned, add 3 dry red chillies & saute for 1 min.
– Cool this mixture & grind with 6 cashews & little water required to get a smooth paste.
– In the same pan, add 1 tbsp butter. Once melted & hot, add crushed ginger & garlic. Saute until fragrant.
– Then add the other half of chopped onion & chopped green chilly. Saute till the onion turn translucent.
– Once done, add the ground paste.
– Next add in all the masala’s & salt : – coriander powder, turmeric powder, Pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder, salt. And add the methi leaves.
– Cook for 2 mins till the methi leaves wilt.
– Next add the pureed tomatoes. Cook for 4 – 5 mins.
– Take it off the heat for the gravy to cool. Take another pan/skillet on heat. Take 1 tsp oil in the pan & spread it. Add the paneer cubes in it to roast a bit aka shallow fry.
– Both sides for approx 2 – 3 mins. Once they are done, put them in a bowl of water. This removes the oil & keeps them soft.
– To the cooled gravy, add 3 tsp curd and mix well. The reason why i do it this way is to avoid the curd to curdle. I see some white spots if i put the curd in a hot gravy.
– Put the pan back on the heat at medium flame & immediately add milk. Keep stirring for the gravy to thicken & change color a bit.
– Add paneer cubes, peas and mix well. Cook for 2 mins.
– Take it off the heat & add crushed kasuri methi. Serve with rotis.